Santa Simić is an award-winning theatre director, dramaturg, and creative producer, currently based in Meanjin on the unceded lands of the Turrbal and Jagera people. She has over a decade of experience as a theatre director and creative producer in Australia. Recent directorial credits include Naked & Screaming (La Boite, 2021), Caesar (La Boite, 2021), and Lysa & The Freeborn Dames (La Boite, 2018). With the independent company Bodysnatchers, which she co-founded with playwright Mark Rogers in 2010, she has directed Rogers’ Plastic (2017), Soothsayers (2012), and Blood Pressure (Sydney, 2012), as well as multiple seasons of Kirby Medway’s Encounter in Sydney, Adelaide, and Melbourne.
As La Boite’s Creative Producer (2017-21), she led the programming team in delivering the company’s suite of Artist Development Programs. She also programmed and delivered the company’s annual HWY festival of new work for five consecutive years. She was Director in Residence at La Boite Theatre Company from 2021-22 and Creative Producer from 2017-2021. She has also held positions at the Australia Council for the Arts (International Projects) and Australia’s leading organisation for interdisciplinary arts, Performance Space. She is currently the Development Producer at Unless Pictures in Meanjin.
- Best Director, Naked & Screaming, Matilda Awards 2022 (Winner)
- Best Director, CAESAR, Matilda Awards 2022 (Nominated)
- Best Mainstage Production, Naked & Screaming, Matilda Awards 2022 (Winner)
- Best Female Actor in a Leading Role, Naked & Screaming, Matilda Awards 2022 (Winner)
- Best Male Actor in a Leading Role, Naked & Screaming, Matilda Awards 2022 (Nominated)
- Best Sound Design, Naked & Screaming, Matilda Awards 2022 (Nominated)
- Best Set & Costume Design,Naked & Screaming, Matilda Awards 2022 (Nominated)
"Emotionally gripping and brilliantly performed"
- Limelight on Naked & Screaming, 2021
"This play is a must see. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️"
- ArtsHub on Naked & Screaming, 2021
"It's confronting, but satisfying"
- Courier Mail on Naked & Screaming, 2021
"It was enthralling in so many ways..."
- Stage Whispers on CAESAR, 2021
"...A clever and entertaining clap-back that is fresh and funny"
- Blue Curtains on CAESAR, 2021
"Directed by Sanja Simić and performed by five brilliant in-their-own-right actors, Caesar cuts deep with razor sharp wit and self-awareness"
- Absolute Theatre on CAESAR, 2021
"As a script, the text is edgy and persuasive; and as a production, led by director Sanja Simic, it’s poignant and moving"
- Absolaute Theatre on Lysa & The Freeborn Dames, 2018
"Sanja Simić’s direction is clear and uncluttered. This is a play with big and small themes beautifully intertwined. And it’s Funny AF."
- The Conversation on Lysa & The Freeborn Dames, 2018